2017-2018 Swim Schedule
- Scheduled, June 30, 2018, 20 Bridges: New York, New York, 28.5 mile (45.8 km) circumnavigation of Manhattan Island to complete the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming, officially sanctioned by New York Open Water
- Skaha Lake Ultra Swim, August 18, 2018: An 11.8K point-to-point open/fresh water swim in Skaha Lake, Penticton, British Columbia. The course meanders along the warm-water shoreline within a scenic valley, average temps 74°F, hosted by Skaha Lake Ultra Swim.
Past Swim Highlights
- 2017, Swim the Suck: One of the most beautiful and scenic 10-mile current assisted swims I have ever swam! This fast, fun and challenging course is swam downriver through the Tennessee River Gorge, hosted by the Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers (C.O.W.S) and Outdoor Chattanooga. Water conditions were fair most of the way, water temp approximately 75°F.
- 2017, The English Channel, Le Manche: August 23, 2017 crossing of The English Channel/Dover Strait, Dover, England to Wissant, France, swam a 41.92mi (67.472 km) solo cold-water crossing in 16hrs 52min with pilot Eddie Spelling on Anastasia, water temp 63°F, officially sanctioned by the Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation (standard course is 21 miles/32km and varies based on current assist and tidal shift across the five swim zones). Fundraised approximately $4000 to benefit The Zoo Society’s Operation Shark Dive at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
- 2017, Ironman 70.3 Puerto Rico: San Juan, 1.2 mi (1.9 km) swim as a part of relay team “Two Gils and a Keg”.
- 2016, Catalina Channel Crossing: Between Catalina Island and mainland California, seam a 20.2 mi (33 km) solo cold-water crossing in 12hrs 18min 12sec with pilot Greg Elliott on Bottom Scratcher, water temp 68 – 70°F, officially sanctioned by the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation.
- 2016, Portland Bridge Swim: Scenic 10 mi (16.1 km) swim in the Willamette River through beautiful downtown Portland, OR, 4 mi swim as a part of a 3-person relay team, hosted by Portland Bridge Swim.
- 2016, Great Salt Lake Marathon Swim: Great Salt Lake in Salt Lake City, UT, 10 km solo warm water / salt water swim, hosted by Great Salt Lake Open Water (GSLOW).
- 2016, Mercer Island Marathon Swim: Circumnavigation of Mercer Island, WA, 14 mi (22.5 km) solo English Channel qualifying swim, water temp 59°F, first documented and officially sanctioned Mercer Island circumnavigation in accordance with Channel swim rules by the Northwest Open Water Swimming Association (NOWSA).
- 2015, Swim 4 Freedom: Point-to-point 8 mi (12.9 km) swim in Lake Geneva, WI, fundraised approximately $2,000 to benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, hosted by the Swim 4 Freedom organization.
- 2015, Tampa Bay Frogman: Charity and fundraising 5 km swim in Tampa Bay, FL, fundraised approximately $1,000 to benefit the Navy Seal Foundation, hosted by volunteers and veterans with the Tampa Bay Frogman Swim .
- 2013, Escape from Alcatraz: A part of the Sharkfest Swim Series, an escape swim from the historic Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park in San Francisco, CA, 1.5 mi ( km) cold water swim, water temp 58 – 60°F.
- 2011, 2012 & 2013, Jack King Ocean Swim: Warm water, 1 mile swim at Virginia Beach, VA benefiting the Virginia Beach Lifeguard Association (VBLA) and co-hosted by Virginia Masters Swimming.
- 2011, 2012 & 2013, Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl: A beautiful fresh-water harbor to big water swim in beautiful Harbor Springs, MI, completed the mile series consisting of 1 mile in 2011, 2 miles in 2012, and 3 miles in 2013, Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl hosted by the Hammerhead Swim Club.
Affiliations & Associations
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation (CCSF), Lifetime Member
- Northwest Open Water Swimming Association (NOWSA), Lifetime Member, Board Member (Treasurer)
- USA Triathlon (USAT), Member
- United States Masters Swimming (USMS), Member and Certified Masters Coach, Levels I & II (certified in 2015)
- VO2 Multisport (Team VO2), Athlete and Swim-specific Coach
- Notorious Alki Swimmers, Athlete and Baker
- Samena Swim & Recreation Club, Member and Open-Water Swim Instructor (please contact Samena directly or me through my Contact page for information on how to book lessons and rates)
Awards, Publications, Speaking Engagements, Features & Links
- Podcast West Seattle (PCWS) Episode 2, “The Notorious Alki Swimmers,” Published on SoundCloud, February 2018
- Team VO2 Multisport Inspirational Person (VIP) of the year award for the 2017 triathlon and swim season
- The Daily News of Open Water Swimming, The Notorious Alki Swimmers Share Their Love of the Water, September 2017, interview and quotations about the West Seattle based swim group, the Notorious Alki Swimmers
- Boldy Went, June 2018, Connecting adventurers motivational speaking engagement about my pursuit of the Triple Crown of Open Water swimming and Catalina Channel swim recap
- Women in the Open Water, March 2017, YouTube playback of the first panel discussion featuring women marathon swimmers discussing their swims, preparation, highs and lows.
- The Tartan – 2017 Tartan Spring, Spring 2017, Alma College’s 2017 Spring Featured Alumna, Pages 16-17 of the archived 2017 Tartan Spring edition